Delicous Hot Cross Buns Recipe just in time for Easter
One of the highlights of the Easter season is getting to enjoy in tasty Hot Cross buns. Our Pastry Chef Tony Lau has been with us for quite a few years and has spent many an Easter creating his delicious hot cross buns for the InterContinental guest. He shares his Easter recipe with you below.
TONY LAU’S HOT CROSS BUNS
Makes approximately 20 buns.
HOT CROSS BUN SPICE
• 2 ½ tablespoon ground cinnamon
• 2 teaspoons ground cloves
• ½ teaspoon all spice
• ½ teaspoon ground green cardamom
• ½ teaspoon ground ginger
• ½ teaspoon ground star aniseed
• ¼ teaspoon ground mace
• ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
• Mix all together
• Store in an airtight container (what you don’t use will last for about a year)
• 100g sugar
• 100m water
• Bring sugar and water to the boil
HOT CROSS BUNS
• 500g Plain Flour
• 35g Fresh Yeast
• 7.5g Salt
• 85g Honey
• 250ml Milk
• 25g Butter
• 1.5g ground cinnamon
• 1.5g All Spice
• 200g Currants
• 75g Mixed Peel
• 3.5g hot cross bun spice
• Warm milk and honey together, add to flour, salt, yeast.
• Mix for 5 minutes then add the butter. Mix for 1 minute.
• Then add fruit and bun spice and mix for 2 minutes.
• Rest 20 minutes. Roll into 50 gram balls & place on trays, close together so they will touch when proving.
• Once proved (approximately 2 hours) pipe crosses on top.
• Bake at 190°C approximately 20 minutes
• Glaze with sugar syrup & bun spice (a couple of drops) mix.
• 125g Plain flour
• 35.7ml oil
• 150ml water
Whisk all together & pipe with a fine plain nozzle
To try these delicious hot cross buns prepared by Chef Tony Lau himself accompanied by other sweet and savoury treats, try our Easter Sunday High Tea, or stay with us over the Easter Period with rates starting from $180* per night.
© Copyright 2016. IHG®. All Rights Reserved. InterContinental Adelaide
IHG® is a registered trademark of InterContinental Hotels Group or its subsidiaries.
This hotel is independently owned by Grand Willow Development PTC Ltd as trustee for Viewgrand Trust G and Managed by IHG Hotels Management (Australia) Pty Ltd