Shiki’s Summer recipe of Japanese cold somen noodles
Shiki’s Summer recipe of Japanese cold somen noodles with dashi soy sauce
There are a range of possible Summer dishes to indulge in this year. Shiki’s Chef de Cuisine Kenny Trinh has provided the perfect Japanese recipe for these hot Summer days.
- 200gm dried somen
DASHI SOY SAUCE
- 7 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 cups dashi (dissolve 3tsp hondashi granules with 3 cups of water)
- 1/2 cup bonito flakes
- To make the dipping dashi soy sauce, heat the soy sauce and sugar in a pot over low heat until the mixture is hot and the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the dashi and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Add the bonito flakes and turn off the heat. Strain the mixture through a sieve lined with cheesecloth.
- Let the sauce cool, then refrigerate it. The sauce can be kept in a container for 4 days in the refrigerator.
- Bring a pot of water to boil.
- Add the somen noodles and cook until the noodles are still firm in the center, about one minute.
- Pour the noodles into a colander and rinse under cold running water, then place the noodles into a bowl of ice water for up to an hour.
- To serve, mound the noodles over a bowl of ice and dip in the dipping sauce before eating. Serve with your choice of sides and garnishes such as cooked mushroom, spring onions or seaweed.
Experience more of Chef de Cuisine Kenny Trinh’s recipes and visit Shiki this Summer and make it even more memorable with a luxury night away!
The experiences you discover today, are the stories you share tomorrow. Experience everything on your bucket list this Summer! If you are stuck for ideas we have curated a list of our must-do South Australian bucket list items.
Not an IHG® Rewards Club member? Sign up at ihgrewardsclub.com
Clicking ‘Book Now’ will direct you to InterContinental Adelaide’s booking engine. Your Your Rate rate will be automatically populated when you click ‘View Rooms and Rates’.
© Copyright 2018. IHG®. All Rights Reserved. InterContinental Adelaide
IHG® is a registered trademark of InterContinental Hotels Group or its subsidiaries.
This hotel is independently owned by Grand Willow Development PTC Ltd as trustee for Viewgrand Trust G and Managed by IHG Hotels Management (Australia) Pty Ltd